Sunday, March 11, 2012

Savory Sunday {9}

Pin It Happy Sunday! How has your weekend been? My sister and I drove up with my son to visit my Aunt and Uncle for a few days... You know, since its spring break and all. Woot!

So have you tried any fun recipes lately? There is one that I have been wanting to try for a while.... Stuffed Bell Peppers. Whenever I see pictures of someones recipe for them, it always look delicious, and I knew that I could make them healthy.



And I was right! These bad boys were only 7 points a piece and were super filling!

Stuffed Bell Peppers:
4 green bell peppers
1 cup of fat free (or low fat) blended cheeses, divided
Turkey sausage
1 medium onion
Brown rice or Spanish rice
Salt and pepper to taste

First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Then cut the tops off of the bell peppers, and pull out the stems and rinse the inside out to get rid of seeds. I also cut up part of the tops that I cut off to put into the turkey sausage mixture.



 Next, cut up your onion. Go ahead and cook your rice while youre browning the turkey sausage. Once the sausage is cooked, add the onion and chopped up bell pepper. Cook for about three minutes.


Now add the rice and 1/2 a cup of the cheese you have set aside. Cook for another 2 minutes or so, just to get the mixture all heated through and so the cheese gets melty.


Now you will spoon the mixture into the bell peppers and pop them into the oven for about 30 minutes. I cooked mine for about 25, pulled them out and sprinkled the remaining cheese on top of the peppers, and then put them back in for the last few minutes so the cheese on top would melt.


Tah-Dah! Delicioso! These were fantastic, and my husband loved them. Shhh, dont tell him they werer healthy! This was a really hearty meal, and we paired it with a salad. These also reheated well the next day. But I wouldnt stick them in the microwave because the pepper will get a little rubbery. Heat your oven to 350, and put them in for about 15 or 20 minutes, or until the cheese on top is bubbly.

I hope you liked these! Now go get your low point meal on!

Until next time...
       Katie



Monday:
Tuesday:






blah2beautiful



A Diamond in the Stuff





Wednesday:




 


Thursday:

shabby creek cottage


 
Friday:
 



Tickled Pink at 504 Main


One Artsy Mama


 
See Vanessa Craft




http://www.thegrantlife.com/search/label/financial%20friday



Saturday:









Sunday


The Girl Creative
Pin It

2 comments:

Kathryn Pepper said...

These look pretty yummy! Thanks for linking up to Cutesy Monday!

Kathryn
destinationcraft.blogspot.com

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

I have to try these! I love that they are healthy, too! Thanks for sharing!

Take care,

Trish