Sunday, September 16, 2012

15 Tricks to Treat Your Halloween.. girl.Inspired.

Pin It
All right ladies, here it is! The first post from the new series:
 

I know you will just love Stef and her amazing decorations! Here she is!
 
 Hi, I'm Stef - I blog over at girl. Inspired.  With three girly girls, I'm usually knee deep in pink ruffles, either ruffles of frosting or ruffles of fabric, but Katie's series here has sparked a new, spooky craze around my house.  And my girly girls are going wild for rats and spiders and mummies!!
 

 I've never really been a big, go all out for Halloween, kind of girl.  It seems to fall during a busy time of year and I find myself barely recovering from fall birthdays to move on to Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations and festivities.  As my girls are getting a little older, though, I have been making a more concerted effort to decorate and celebrate each holiday - they just love it so much.  This year, I also find myself coordinating the decorations for a big school fundraising event and guess what the theme is?  Halloween, of course!  So...I'm working on my Halloween decorations extra early and we're going with an antique creep vibe.
 
Today, I wanted to share how I've pulled together a spooky mantle using some of my regular decor, a couple thrifted items, crafted mummy heads, and some dollar store creepy crawlies.  From my regular decor, I grouped stacks of old hardcover books and brass candlesticks.  The antique scale, rusty wire vase, and old, chippy window are part of my permanent mantle decor.  The next layer includes two mummy heads that my four-year-old helped me make.  I've added some cheap spiders and centipedes and set them atop book stacks.  I also set up a mummy head on a platter with glass goblets (all thrifted) and placed the tray on top of an antique radio.  This vignette is completed with dollar store tarantulas and tomato juice.  Another mummy head sits on top of an antique clock.  Amazing how quickly my treasured antiques became the creepiest Halloween decorations!!?!  I wonder if my things will ever look the same.  
 
Back to the mantle...I picked up a metal urn from Goodwill and gave it a coat of black spray paint.  This makes a simple base to add either branches, or in this case, spray-painted hydrangeas.
  

The final touch, and probably my favorite, is the antique-look frame and awesomely spooky wedding photograph.  I grabbed this photo at my favorite antique shop - it's so faded and ghostly - PERFECT!! 
 

It has been so much fun dreaming up spooky tricks to decorate for Halloween.  Now that I've gotten going, I can't seem to stop.  Drop in over at girl. Inspired. to see how we made the mummy heads and to follow along as I pull together the rest of my Halloween decor!!  Thank you for letting me participate in your fright fest, Katie!!  I can't wait to see everyone else's TRICKS and TREATS!

A BIG thanks to Stef for being a part of this series! And what a great way to kick off the series! Make sure you stop over to visit her for lots of inspiring crafts and projects!

Photobucket
Linking Up Here:


Monday:
 
Skip To My Lou
UndertheTableandDreaming






Tuesday:




 
Sugar Bee Crafts
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia






Today's Creative Blog
blah2beautiful





Wednesday:





 

Organize and Decorate Everything






 





Thursday:
52 Mantels

shabby creek cottage


A Crafty Soiree Photobucket
 
Friday:
 






Tickled Pink at 504 Main


One Artsy Mama

Photobucket The Shabby Nest

Liz Marie Blog

five days five ways | feature friday free for all




 

http://www.thegrantlife.com/search/label/financial%20friday

Saturday:






Positively Splendid




Sunday
UndertheTableandDreaming
I Heart Nap Time

 
The Girl Creative

Monthly:
TDC Before and After
Pin It

No comments: